Hanni Berger CEO JOYVIAL
Should You Choose a Health Coach or a Therapist?
People are sometimes confused about the differences between a certified health coach versus a psychotherapist. It can be confusing and sometimes the work overlaps. The good news is both professions are committed to helping the client become the best and healthiest version of themselves. Let’s break down the differences.
Before you keep reading please know you can now hear my thoughts on this topic on our YouTube Channel or you can just keep reading.
Psychotherapist versus a Health Coach:
Generally speaking, coaching is more focused on helping you achieve future goals, while psychotherapy tends to have more of a past and present focus. That being said, many coaches are able to help you understand how the past contributes to stumbling blocks that hinder you from reaching your goals.
According to The American Counseling Association, counseling can include multiple types of psychotherapy, but is not limited to, psychotherapy, diagnosis and evaluation of clients. Counselors also establish counseling plans for the treatment of individuals, couples, groups and families. These plans can revolve around emotional distress, mental health, addiction and physical disorders.
Therapists diagnose and provide professional expertise and guidelines. Coaches on the other hand help clients identify the challenges, then work in partnership with the client to obtain their goals.
A variety of licensed providers can offer mental health counseling including the following:
● Social workers
● Psychiatric nurses
● Nurse practitioners
Client’s best suited to see a psychotherapist:
Clients who are struggling with serious mental/emotional problems such as substance abuse, major depression and personality disorders are best suited to see a counselor or therapist. The focus in psychotherapy is more on healing from the past, while the focus in coaching is geared towards where you wish to be next.
In order to legally provide psychotherapy, one requires an advanced degree and a state license to practice. To obtain a license to practice psychotherapy, one needs to meet certain criteria which include an exam and a certain number of supervised hours of practice.
Psychotherapists face more restrictions than coaches in terms of where and how they are able to offer services. They require a license in the state in which they practice in. Health coaches can work throughout all of the United States and internationally.
While there are many certification programs for coaching, there are no governing boards for health coaches. Despite a lack of a governing board in the field of coaching, many coaches offer tremendous services and some originally practiced as psychotherapists.
Not all coaches are professionally trained and certified. At JOYVIAL we take training and credentials seriously. Our health coaches are professionally trained and certified by the most notable health and wellness institutes from around the country. Every coach has extensive experience, comes with impressive client testimonials, and adheres to JOYVIAL’s best practice standards for coaching.
Benefits of Health Coaching:
So, what are the benefits to working with a JOYVIAL executive health coach?
Working together with a JOYVIAL executive health coach, you’ll discover what your vision of optimal health and well-being looks like for you, the whole you – body, mind and spirit. Through your coaching partnership, you’ll identify ways to navigate the obstacles between you and what really matters to you. No matter how big or small, your coach will help you meet your health and wellness goals. Your JOYVIAL executive health coach will work with you in the following four areas:
1. Define Your Vision: Your coach will help you define your vision of your healthiest and best self. This vision will excite you and motivate you as you take steps toward a life you love.
2. Upgrade Your Knowledge and Skills: Your coach will share proven ideas, tools and techniques that will help you achieve your goals.
3. Strategize Your Actions: Your coach will lead you to uncover the most effective strategies that will move you towards your future vision. These strategies are unique to you and will fit into your life.
4. Master Your Psychology: Your coach will offer effective techniques to shrink the overwhelm in your life, overcome your anxiety, manage stress and minimize your negative self-talk.
Benefits of Psychotherapy:
Psychotherapy can help people in a range of situations. For example, it may benefit someone who suffers from the following:
● Has overwhelming feelings of sadness or helplessness.
● Feels anxious most of the time.
● Has difficulty facing everyday challenges or focusing on work or studies.
● Is using drugs or alcohol in a way that is not healthful.
● Is at risk of harming themselves or others.
● Feels that their situation will never improve, despite receiving help from friends and family.
● Has a mental health condition, such as schizophrenia, that affects their daily life.
We hope you now have a better idea of the differences between a psychotherapist and a health coach. At JOYVIAL, we are ready to start working with you and are committed to helping you live your healthiest, most JOYful life.
Click the 'Contact' button in the top right corner or simply send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your free discovery session.
Remember, at JOYVIAL, we are committed to helping you live your healthiest, most JOYful life. For all the latest health and wellness tips and to get inspired, following along with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.